No surprise -'Well lose in Hamilton again!

It was another of those affairs when the home side looked more competent. They passed the ball better while we looked nervous and unsure. It was not a classic but the result was probably a fair reflection.

Baraclough made four changes to the starting eleven; Hammell, Laing, Thomas and McDonald made way for Chalmers, Grimshaw, Robinson and Kennedy.


Another disappointed away crowd

The home side set the pattern of the first half early and they went on to dominate. Yet it was Robinson who had the first look at goal with three shots. The best of his opportunities in the first half hour came when Ainsworth presented him with a clear shot from twelve yards. But with the goal at his mercy he fired straight at the grateful 'keeper. Crawford then gave us a fright with a 20 yard rocket that rocked the bar.

Lasley was booked just before the break for persistent fouling and the manager had some work to do in formulating a plan for the second period. Accies, no surprise, had looked more comfortable on the artificial pitch and they enjoyed the majority of the possession.

Our best hopes came on the break as our under pressure defenders cleared up field. Grimshaw had little time on the ball to show his skills but Kennedy saw plenty of action and needed treatment off the park for a head bleed. He returned to the fray complete with a Butcher style bandage.

Nade replace Morris shortly after the second half got underway although by then Hamilton had a couple of long range efforts that had tested Ripley. We had an impressive period and managed a few half chances that gave the 'Well support behind McGovern's goal something to cheer.

With twenty minutes remaining Johnson replaced the tireless Robinson.

Three minutes later we fell behind. Grimshaw's slack pass in midfield lost possession and the ball was worked to our right. A deep cross was floated high to the far post and Imrie, far from the tallest player on the park, rose above the static Chalmers to head into the net.

McDonald came on in 77 minutes for Lasley as we tried to mount a recovery but we were fortunate to avoid a immediate second goal as Ripley produced a couple of fine stops. Thomas joined the fray for Ainsworth.

We were awarded a free kick just outside the box and and with it a feint chance of an equaliser but McDonald's poor attempt thudded into the wall. That frustration summed up our second half showing and despite a couple of late corners we failed to score.

Poor stuff.

Hamilton 1 Motherwell 0

Attendance 3,325

Team: Ripley, Grimshaw, McManus, Ainsworth(Thomas 82), Lasley(McDonald 77), Chalmers, Kennedy, Robinson(Johnson 69), Law, Moult