Poor Motherwell lose 3-0 to St Mirren

Last updated : 27 October 2009 By Firparkcorner
The Motherwell fans, who filled the away stand, had to get their heads around a 3-5-2 line up at kick off. Forbes was dropped and Hutchison introduced meaning that we had three central defenders in the team. Reynolds moved up to left midfield to join Hateley, Coke, Moutaoukil and O'Brien in support of Jutkiwiecz and Murphy.

The game started in the same vein as the previous meeting. They pressed our defenders and stymmied our build up from the back. On the other hand we allowed their defenders time and space. There was little action for the first twenty minutes although O'Brien raised a cheer when he unleashed a fine attempt from twenty yards which forced Gallacher into action.

A big 'Well support

Moutouakil gave away a free kick when he fouled when charging back into position. Dorman fired in from the set piece and Higdon got his head on the ball. Ruddy did well to get a one-handed block but it ended up in the net after a bounce.

Once again our manager had to work some half time magic and his plan was to hook Moutouakil and Murphy, throw on Humphrey and McHugh and switch to a 4-4-2 formation.

Spurred on by the big Motherwell support and with the rain driving into the St Mirren goal we picked up the pace and tried to get into the game. Hutchison's through ball gave Gallacher a fright as Jutkiewicz tried to steer the ball to the net but it was the home team that got their second on the hour. Ross's low shot from the right of the box taking a deflection and beating Ruddy.

Humphrey and McHugh were notable as we pushed (too late!) for a goal but our half chances were squandered. St Mirren scored a third with ten minutes remaining when Craigan deflected Dorman's low drive into the net.

St Mirren thoroughly deserved their win. They were quicker to the ball, more confident and far more dangerous in attack. Let's hope that Hearts were concentrating on their game on Wednesday and not watching our laboured performance.