Rangers Hold On at Motherwell

Last updated : 19 October 2003 By Firparkcorner

Adams has a bash
We harried, pressed and passed ourselves into the game after a poor opening spell when the visitors dominated. Marshall was called into action in the first minute as the early pattern was set. We were pinned back for the first fifteen minutes and one down after that spell.

The defence was cut out by a lob over the top and Averladze chipped Marshall from close in. During that spell we had one chance to open the scoring when Craig found himself free on the edge of the box with just the keeper to beat. His chip shot missed the target.

The goal was the catalyst we needed. Suddenly we started pressing and knocked Rangers off their stride. Emerson looked unwilling to trade tackles and despite some nice touches he was to be removed by The Ginger One in the second half.

The free kick cleared the stand!
The equaliser came in twenty five minutes when Pearson managed a turn and shot from the six year line. His right footed effort slammed into the roof of the net. We celebrated and the visitors’ heads dropped.

Our good spell continued until the break with Craig and Clarkson showing no respect for Berg and Moore. On several occasions the experienced central defenders were unsettled by the energy of the ‘Well strike force.

Rangers started the second half at full speed and had two glorious chances inside the first couple of minutes. On both occasions they were free on the right side of the area and dangerous balls were whipped across the face of our goal, one of them glancing off the bar.

But we rallied and for long spells had the upped hand. Hammell and Pearson wre dangerous of the left while Corrigan, in addition to his superb defending, and Lasley provided a threat on the left. Lasley missed from four yards when it seemed easier to score and Pearo had the ball cleared by Moore after a terrific thirty yard run into the box.

Klos produced a couple of glorious saves to keep Lasley at bay and Craig saw a near post header just miss.

The game concluded with a tense spell which produced chances at either end. Rangers managed to get three booked and Ricksen was taken off in a substitution which almost certainly prevented him being sent off.

The referee produced some startling decisions, most notably when he turned down a penalty claim when Ricksen checked Clarkson off the ball. Craigan produced two goal line clearances.

In short, we had a team which did both themselves and the supporters proud. Alex Ferguson was in attendance and he cannot fail to have been impressed with the showing of the men in claret and amber.

With no game next weekend the team can nurse their wounds and recover from any knocks. We are now in sixth place with twelve points from nine games.