Report: St Johnstone 2 'Well 3

Last updated : 27 June 2017 By Firparkcorner

When was the last time we came from behind (twice) and then scored a winner in the final minute? A great win for the Softy/Mio partnership and we leap off the bottom of the table leaving a shattered Saints team languishing in last place

For the third game in charge the temporary caretakers sent out almost the same starting eleven. And after a crunching collision between Main and Twaddle in twenty minutes we reverted to the now familiar line up when Nicholas came on to replace the winger who suffered severe bruising to his knee. Main's leg is broken and both players received warm applause as they were stretchered off. Let's hope the pair are soon back in action.

A sad sight -'Ambulance for Main'

We started both halves poorly. In the first we were overrun and though we made the break level after a stunning equaliser by Stevie Nicholas, in truth, we could have been two or three down.

In eight minutes a shot from Parker was spilled by Brown and amazingly Connolly missed an open goal from two yards. But the pair made amends five minutes later when Parker nutmegged Forrest on the line and sent a cutback to Parker who dispatched the ball with ease.

We were on the rack but after the forced substitutions we began to come more into the game. And the flow of the game began to change and with Nic's strike we were level.

The second half had the same pattern as the first. We were swamped at first (though Elliott should have done better early on when he had only the young goalie to beat) and ten minutes into the half we were again behind. All our defences were drawn to the near post and MacDonald was in splendid isolation on the right hand side of the box. The ball reached him and his shot gave Brown no chance.

We started to make changes. Dow for Pearson on the hour and Adams for Lasley shortly after. We switched to a 4-3 -3 formation and started to turn the game.

With ten minutes left Captain Leitch made a foray towards the Saints box. The defence left Elliott unmarked on his left and the pass was delivered. Stuart fired the ball low through the goalie's legs and we were level.

Time passed, the fourth official signaled for two further minutes and everyone in the ground expected a share of the points.

But suddenly we had a breakaway. And Elliott was charging to the goal. Again he had the keeper to beat. But it was saved - and broke to the onrushing Nicholas who had an easy dispatch for the winner.

Unbelievable - The goal had been scored in front of he 'Well fans who were all on their feet and Nicholas almost joined them. A minute later Hugh Dallas blew for full time.

We are now six points clear of St Johnstone and most of the credit has to go to the Softy/Mio partnership. The same team for three games - Nicholas on the wing showing his best form since he joined the club, Forrest now a fixture in central defence beside Ready and maybe a bit of self belief starting to permeate through the squad.

No doubt the next couple of weeks will produce a new manager. But regardless of who that may be the club owes a big debt of gratitude to the current management team. Well done lads.