Report: Celtic 2 'Well 0

Last updated : 19 May 2002 By Firparkcorner
We had a couple of changes in personnel from the team which crumbled before St Johnstone. Adams and Elliott moved to the bench and Corrigan, Dow and McFadden started. Leitch was suspended and Stevie Woods kept his place.

We started with a 3-6-1 formation and the tactics were immediately obvious. We swamped the midfield, left Kelly up front and started to frustrate. And we did it very well.

Although the opposition hit the woodwork twice in the first half it was clear that our game plan was succeeding. We looked confident in possession and tried to move forward when the opportunity was there. At the same time we had some stout defending to do and often resorted to punting the ball up the park to gain a few seconds relief.

many 'Well fans expected Elliott to make an appearance after the half time break to replace Kelly's tiring legs but we resumed with the same eleven. And the pattern of the game continued uninterrupted. Wave after wave of Celtic attack, our midfield only pressing when they crossed the halfway line.

We managed to collect four bookings in the game, three in the second half. The last (in the seventy ninth minute) came after McFadden slotted the ball home after a rare 'Well foray up the park. He was flagged offside (though none of the away support agreed with the assistant) and the referee felt he was time wasting by shooting home.

Two minutes later a Larsson break and a Deloumeaux challenge close to the post saw Woods beaten. The nature of the goal was disappointing, especially for Woods, who had several wonderful saves through the game.

McFadden again impressed. He broke from midfield at every opportunity and looked confident and skillful on the ball.

The first defensive slip came in ninety minutes and we pain the price, Hartson having an easy tap in as a result.

At least St Johnstone also lost by two and there was no change in the position at the bottom. Bring on the Cup next week!