Report: Motherwell 1 St Johnstone 0

Last updated : 03 July 2017 By Firparkcorner

We deservedly took three points in a one nil victory over a poor St Johnstone side at Fir Park this afternoon. Once again Billy's Boys did us proud as they made their bid for a place in next season's team. Our third over the Saints - can we play them every week please?

The sleepy crowd was jolted into life in twenty two minutes with some sparkling play by Chiba. First he took a ball at the corner of the box, turned to face the goal and sent a rocket to Main's near post. The goalie did well to turn it past but Chiba then whipped in a great corner. As the ball passed the penalty spot it was met by the rising head of Stuart Elliott and we found ourselves one up.

The crowd then resumed their slumbers for the rest of the half. We were in control and Stevie Woods had been a spectator throughout.

Wood replaced Adams early in the second half and gave us a strike force with a combined age of thirty seven! Just after the hour Lasley replaced Captain Leitch - and he was not a happy. Fingers were pointed and jabbed in the dugout.

Then we almost threw a goal away. Greg Strong (now with the captain's armband) stopped a header with a raised arm and the ref correctly gave the penalty. Sylla's attempt was well saved by Stevie Woods and our lead remained intact.

The appearance of young McFadden for Twaddle made for an exciting last fifteen minutes. He soon had a couple of good runs into the box from the left of midfield. But all the teenagers did themselves proud.

The atmosphere throughout was typical of and end of season game of no consequence. Let's hope that the performance of the developing team for the last five games brings out the punters and that without the pressure of relegation looming we can see some entertainment.



Corrigan Okoli Strong Hammell Twaddle (S76 McFadden)

Chiba Leitch (S62 Lasley) Elliott

Nicholas Adams (S55 Wood)

Subs unused: Connolly Ramsay


Referee D McDonald

 Attendance 4,600

Motherwell 1 St Johnstone 0

7 April 2001

Back to Match Reports