Report: 'Well 1 Livingston 2

Last updated : 19 May 2002 By Firparkcorner
We had dominated the game for long spells and made as many goal scoring opportunities as would allow us to win several games but nevertheless came away with nothing.

The Motherwell Cuddle!

Pearson started in place of the suspended Lasley and we started the game facing the surprisingly small number of Livingston fans in the South Stand.

We had by far the better of the first half and there were a procession of chances - a Pearson shot from the edge of the box, a good crack from McFadden after delightful footwork in the box and a wonderful turn and shot from Elliott which produced a fine save. And that was the first ten minutes!

Livi had occasional forays up to Woods' goal and we were lucky not to go one behind on the half hour when near post defending by Leitch (who had another fine fighting performance) saved a certain goal.

We got the deserved breakthrough when Elliott set off on a breakaway run up the left wing. His pass to the centre was poor and it looked like the move was over. But Soloy picked up the scraps, beat a couple and sent a shot in on target. It looked like a goalies ball but remarkably Culkin let the ball pass between his ankles for the opener. Soloy was besieged by his team mates in celebration of his first goal for the club.
But just before the whistle for the break we conceded the equaliser. A corner, conceded after a fine save by Woods, was not cleared and Andrews leveled the score.

The half time talk in the stands was about the missed chances. There was the feeling that we could pay for our carelessness in front of the goal.

And so it was to be. Despite several good chances (52 mins- Lehmann fed Faddy with a great pass and the youngster had only the keeper to beat but he hesitated and the chance was gone) we failed to convert.

Nicholas replaced Soloy as we pressed for the winner. On the hour Elliott sent Peasron down the left wing and his perfect cross was met by the right winger. He shot wide when perhaps he had more time to consider his options.

Then we paid the price. Deloumeaux had battled up the right touchline and made considerable progress with the ball before the move broke down. We were caught short in defence as they ran in on our goal and scored. We kept pressing but the game was lost.

There were no failures in the 'Well team and the fans will surely accept occasional defeats of this nature. After all, it's not always the better team which wins!