Scoreless stalemate at Fir Park

Neither Motherwell nor Kilmarnock were able to find the net in a match that had plenty of effort but little flair.  We had the better chances but failed in the execution.

Under the charge of McFadden due to the banning order for McGhee, Motherwell made two changes from the eleven that came close to upsetting Celtic last week.  Hammell and Cadden were missing and Ferguson and Ainsworth stepped up.

McDonald spent much of his time in midfield leaving Moult on his own up front and Ferguson delivered another competent performance at left back but there was little fluency on show.


Motherwell will look to three fine chances in the post-match analysis.  While the stadium clock showed 45 minutes MacLean had a close range shot saved by MacDonald and Ainsworth missed the target from 8 yards at the angle.  The best opportunity in the second period followed some fine work by Tait and Thomas to set up McDonald at the 18 yard line inside the last ten minutes.  His flick missed the post by a foot.

Kilmarnock started well and they almost were gifted a goal when Lasley dithered 12 yards from his goal.  His clearance rebounded off Smith and those behind the Cooper end goal breathed a sigh of relief as the ball trundled to safety with Samson a spectator.

MacLean was the recipient of a heavy challenge early in the match but he soldiered on until the 47th minute.  He had a chance for glory following a twenty yard weave through the Killie defence but he finished it with a shot off target.

Lucas returned to action when re replaced MacLean and later Hastie and Thomas were given 20 minutes as Lasley and Ainsworth were substituted.

We finished with a handful of young players gaining more game time but had either team sneaked a winner it would have been harsh on the loser.

Motherwell 0 Kilmarnock 0

Attendance 3,684 (494)

Team: Samson, Tait, Heneghan, McManus, Ainsworth (Hastie 73), Moult, Lasley (Thomas 73), Clay, Ferguson, MacLean (Lucas 73), McDonald