Sutton scores again as 'Well win 3 in a row

Last updated : 14 September 2013 By Firparkcorner

The manager solved the defensive problem caused by the unavailability of Ramsden and Kerr by introducing Franci- Angol at left back and moving Hammel across the pitch to fill the vacant right back position.  I'm happy to report that the plan worked!

The early entertainment took place on the away stand where the police and stewards faced up to the yellow smoke filled young fans. After a few ejections we concentrated on the game.


This was the free kick that followed the referee's change of mind

Both teams took advantage of the fine surface and played an attacking passing game.  Our first chance followed a Hammel cross that offered Sutton a chance at the far post but the striker failed to make contact.

There were a couple of scares in front of the travelling support.  Hutchison collected the ball from Hollis then slipped just outside the box.  He was penalised and (somewhat harshly) booked for the ensuing tackle but the free kick that followed was wasted.  We witnessed the rare sight of a referee changing his mind after half an hour.  There’s no doubt about Lasley’s foul but Thomson's’ first instinct was to point to the spot.  A howl of protests followed and after a quick consultation with the stand side assistant the decision was reversed.  (Would the assistant have kept quiet if the referee had stuck to his guns?) The change of mind was quite correct and the ball was correctly placed a yard out of the box.  Goodwin relieved the pressure by squandering the free kick.

Francis-Angol had a fine game both in defence and attack.  He was upfield to take a throw level with the 18 yard line, took the return and delivered a tempting ball for Sutton to attack.  He forced his way between two defenders and the ball crossed the line.  The goal came four minutes before the break.


The second half did not match the first in terms of pure football as the home side’s increasingly frantic efforts to equalise saw them rely more on the long ball.  Hollis had to produce a few good saves and although we had a few close shaves, the defence stood firm.

Hutchison struck the bar with a headed attempt following a corner and Francis-Angol produced a piece of magic on the touchline to set up Anier for a shot.  McFadden, who spent most of the game in the centre of the park, was replaced by Lawson, Anier by McHugh and finally ZFA by Cummins.  By the closing minutes St Mirren had a host of forwards on the pitch.  In the final minute of added time we conceded a free kick 23 yards from goal in a central position.  Nerves were on edge but the attempt was high and the whistle followed.

Any point away from home is welcome and to take three from a ground where we have had little joy of late was a great bonus.  Can we extend the run to four at Tannadice next week?