Top Six 'Well Beat Pars

Last updated : 15 April 2004 By Firparkcorner

Derek Adams drills the penalty into the net.
The game may not have been the most entertaining of the season and there may have been more than a touch of nervousness evident on the park but the three points push us up to fifth place and ensure that we reap the financial benefit which accompanies a finish in the top half of the league.

It is difficult to single out any individual for particular praise in such a close knit dressing room. Regardless of individual strengths and weaknesses they have bonded together under the guidance of Terry Butcher in such a way that the have delivered far more than we had any right to expect.

As for the game? The only alteration from the team which faced Hearts was the return of Keith Lasley at the cost of David Clarkson who found a place on the bench. Craig stepped forward to join Burns up front.

We had a perfect start when Tod’s clumsy tackle on Dair set up a penalty which
Adams swept away for a nine minute lead.

The long ball was the favoured tactic from both teams. It was not pretty. Nevertheless chances started to appear. Mostly in front of Marshall though. Straight from the restart he was called into action when Dempsey should have finished from close in.

The big keeper denied the same attacker in twenty four minutes when it looked certain that the equaliser would be conceded.

Our chance for the killer second goal came when the Pars defence failed to clear a diagonal cross. Jason Dair attempted a lob which beat the keeper but Skerla managed a goal line clearance.

A heavy shower at the interval suggested that a lively second half would materialise. The game took on a cup tie atmosphere as
Dunfermline started to throw everything up the park. But the opportunity of a goal on the counter presented itself when Toastie broke through and set up Dair. He was unmarked on the edge of the box but blasted high and wide.

Brewster and Crawford made an appearance to attempt the savage job but after an initial flurry Craigan and Corrigan found their measure.

Burns came close with a cheeky back header but we failed to add to the goals tally. Clarkson and Fagan replaced Craig and Lasley as the game petered out.

The final whistle brought all the ‘Well fans to their feet and warm applause greeted the celebrations on the park. Terry took a well deserved bow.