We almost blew it!

Last updated : 22 September 2009 By Firparkcorner

Jutkiewicz and McHugh started the game with Sutton missing (presumed injured) and Jennings on the bench. The game proceeded at a pedestrian pace in from of almost 4000 fans. They had little to cheer until a McHugh header gave us the lead after half an hour.

Kick off

There was no urgency about Motherwell's play and we seemed content to hold the ball and play lots of unproductive passes across the park. Too often our possession faltered with poor concentration and a loose touch.

Inverness came back into the match with a Barrowman header and we had the first of several warnings that the opposition would not lie down. In fact we could have been in serious trouble had the visiting forwards not spurred so many decent chances. Proctor scythed O'Brien for the second time and saw red with twenty minutes left and we piled on the pressure. The ICT goal was pummelled but their defence blocked well and we could not force the ball over the line.

We started the extra-time period in a more lively fashion and Moutaouakil forced Esson to make a fine save. Hammell played his part when he cut into the box and fired a low drive which was deflected over the line to restore our lead.

Extra time looms

But gain, infuriatingly, we slowed the game down and ried to hold the ball at the expense of seeking another goal. We paid the price when some woeful defending allowed Munro a free back post header from a corner. It looped high over Ruddy and into the net. That was the fourth goal of the evening in front of the empty South Stand!

There remained just ten minutes before penalties would be needed and we surged to the Cooper end searching for the winner. Eventually Forbes came to the rescue with a blistering shot from a fairly acute angle. The ball found the roof of the net with a minute to go and we were through.

The Inverness players fought hard and might have deserved more from the game but it is Motherwell who go into the hat for Thursday's quarter final draw.