'Well Fail to Score against Rangers

Last updated : 04 April 2004 By Firparkcorner

Both teams made several changes to their respective line ups. Clarkson was rested and Adams and Lasley missed out through injury. As a result our midfield consisted of Craig, O’Donnell, Dair and Fagan with Burns and McDonald up front.

A 'Well attack in the second half

Rangers kicked off facing the Cooper Stand end and it was clear from the start that our young men were going to match their young men for every challenge. Indeed we gained the first corner (of half a dozen in am impressive first half) in three minutes.

Klos was by far the busier keeper and he was first called to action after an inch perfect ball from O’Donnell up the East Stand touchline found McDonald. The busy striker rounded Moore and ploughed on into the box. His shot was stopped.

Moments later McDonald had a flashing header from close in but again Klos deflected the danger. On the half hour Quinn had a net bound header tipped over the top after a corner.

The BBC Zoom in on the action...

By contrast
Marshall was rarely troubled – he had two long range shots to deal with but he was beaten a couple of minutes before the break. The ‘Well defence had had a few chances to clear their lines but a bit of slackness allowed Hughes a half chance. He managed a toe poke across the face of the goal and it sneaked in at the far post.

The home dressing room must have been a sight at the break. There must have been bewilderment that we were behind. But missed chances cost games. And so it proved.

Despite another battling performance in the second half we failed to score. Marshall had to be alert and he was called into action on a few occasions.

The Craigan/Corrigan partnership looked strong yet again while the work rate of everyone in the white away strip was excellent. O’Donnell lasted the ninety minutes while McDonald was replaced after an hour. He had taken some punishment and limped of to give Clarkson a run out.

The park looks as though we’ve just emerged from a Scottish winter – no surprise there then! The wind blew fiercely – especially across the South Stand goal. Tackles flew in and the ref started waving cards like confetti. Much huff and puff was on show but little in the way of silky soccer.

Saturday’s results mean that our hold on a top six place remains unchanged. The games in midweek, ‘Well v Hearts and Livi v Killie, will have an important say in the placings at the split.