'Well get back on track with a 3-0 win at Kilmarnock

Last updated : 16 January 2010 By Firparkcorner

Craig Brown's first selection produced three changes from the eleven that lost to Hearts before the big freeze. Out went Jennings, Saunders and Murphy and starts were given to Sutton, Lasley and Coke. Hateley was placed at right back while Lasley found himself in the centre of midfield with Coke.

One of many first half corners

We had the better of the first half and had more than enough opportunities to make the breakthrough. The main threat came down the left wing and there were several low, driven crosses into the box. Jutkiewicz was adept at capturing the longer balls and finding his man for the pass.

Forbes had a couple of free kicks, both from tempting positions but Bell was not troubled by either effort (although the first one curled just beyond Bell's post provoking a great cheer from the 'Well fans at on end of the main stand - only to be answered with derisory jeers from the other end!) . Meanwhile Ruddy looked secure with anything in the air and he stood up well to Killie's only real chance in the first period when Bryson was clean through. The big keeper stood his ground and made the deflection. Taouil's twisting and turning at the edge of the box resulted in a shot just wide of the post.

Motherwell took a deserved lead after 55 minutes. A nice touch from Jutkiewicz gave Forbes the ball at the left angle of the box. He set the ball up to meet O'Brien's run and our man made no mistake as he placed a firm first time shot beyond Bell. Minutes later Forbes took a hefty knock and Brown replaced him with Humphries.

Calderwood replied with two quick substitutions. Fernandez and Pascali came on to turn the tide but it was not to be.  We scored a brilliant second following a Kilmarnock corner. The clearance found Humphrey on the left wing and he knocked it to Coke who delivered a perfect low cross to allow the onrushing O'Brien to slide the ball into the net.

There was more to come. The clock showed 77 minutes when Sutton's shot from the right was blocked but it fell to Jutkiewicz and he finished well. The goal was a just reward for his contribution to the game.

The home support drifted away as the game petered out while the 682 travelling fans stayed to cheer their heroes at the final whistle. Craig Brown got the best of Jimmy Calderwood as Motherwell put three by Killie for the second time this season as the losing run came to an end.