'Well lose to Hibs

Last updated : 31 August 2002 By Firparkcorner

Home debut for Ferguson
We had the best of the opening few minutes but that was our only contribution to the first half. Hibs soon began to take the upper hand although they initially struggled to make chances. That all changed when they scored an excellent free kick and should have been more than one goal up at half time. Paco Luna won a free kick with what can only be described as an outrageous dive but Derek Townsley’s free kick was curled high into the top corner. Stevie Woods may feel he should have done better, particularly since he managed to get a good hand to the ball.

Luna should have doubled Hibs’ lead but blazed over the bar when it looked easier to score. The visitors then spurned a free header from a corner and we were grateful to get to half time only a single goal down.

Terry Butcher will have given the players a lambasting at half time but the first ten minutes after the break suggested nothing had changed. Townsley should have wrapped things up but could only volley wide from inside the box when he should have done better.

We made an attacking change with Stevie Ferguson replacing Derek Adams. Butcher’s deserves credit for this tactical change and it almost paid off. Ferguson came close to equalising but his shot from a quick free kick rebounded off the inside of the post and agonisingly evaded both McFadden and Corrigan who would have been able to tap in.

A second half attack
The game was killed off within the space of two minutes in the middle of the second half. Lasley released McFadden who raced clear and faked the goalie onto his back. He looked ready to chip it home but changed his mind at the last second. Instead, he tried to go round the ‘keeper but ran the ball straight into Nick Colgan. As misses go, this was painful.

As often happens after missed chances, Hibs marched up the park and scored immediately. Luna’s first cross was blocked but the ball fell to him again and he dinked the ball across goal perfectly for Townsley to head home.

McFadden knew that his miss had cost us one or possibly all three points. He was visibly distressed and Terry Butcher substituted him soon after the goal. The home dugout may be in need of repair after Faddy released his frustration!

If further proof was needed that it was not be our day, no penalty was given when Pearson was clearly kicked in the head when he had a great chance to pull one back.

However, while we can point to our missed chances, the main fact is that we took what we deserved from this game – absolutely nothing. Hibs should be capable of playing a lot better but they were there for the taking today and we couldn’t produce the goods. Ominously, our next three games are at home to Celtic and then away to Hearts and Dunfermline. Anyone who thinks we are clear of the relegation zone is very much mistaken.

Still, we must keep our heads up. The young team did not fail for lack of effort and it is important that the fans feed them support end encouragement through this difficult season. Let’s turn out in numbers for the next home game against Celtic.