FirparkCorner FC knock six past the Bully Wee

Last updated : 23 January 2012 By Firparkcorner

Corner’s hopes of a quick lead faded after 20 minutes of goalless action but with home advantage the pressure was mostly from the Motherwell side. The visitors were playing a high line and had plenty of offside shouts but eventually FPC forced the opener with a goal from a MacKenzie corner.  Tait met the ball first but it bobbled out of control, hit a Clyde defender and fell sweetly for Steven to jab home from close range.

The goal settled the nerves and FPC started to exert even more pressure, going close a few times. The second goal was a bit of a gift however; the Clyde keeper slipped while taking a kick out from a wide area of the box and the ball fell straight at the feet of Tonner. Coming under pressure, he squared it to McArthur, who slotted it into the empty net with the keeper still floored. Not five minutes later, MacKenzie found his range with a perfect corner from the right, where Tait met it with an unstoppable bullet header at the back post.

McArthur beat two men and looked set for his second with the goal in sight, unfortunately he pulled up with a hamstring injury which ended his part in the match. Clyde did find their way behind the back four on a couple of occasions but excellent awareness and two fine point blank stops from Glenny maintained the advantage and FPC took a three goal lead into half time.

Some more changes in the second half saw Fraser, Chalmers and Clark into action,and Fraser was to be instrumental in goal number four, just five minutes after coming on. Tonner and Totten worked the ball on the right before finding Fraser just inside the box. Without looking up he played a first time curling cross into the danger area and the outstretched boot of the Clyde centre back could only divert the ball high into the roof of the net.

In 65 minutes Tonner finally sprung the Clyde offside trap to chase a bouncing Totten through ball, reaching it just before the advancing keeper.  He knocked it over his head from the edge of the box and saw it bounce up into the top corner. Tonner rounded off the day’s scoring ten minutes from time when a Galloway clearance slipped under the left back’s foot and he again found himself up against the onrushing keeper. With the defender approaching, DT knocked it to the goalie’s left, rounding him on the other side and slotting the ball into the vacant goal.

Clark could have added a late seventh with a fine left foot strike from the edge of the box but a dubious offside call denied him. 

Millwall visit Ravenscraig next Saturday, 28th January, for the crucial British Cup Second Round tie.


Fir Park Corner 6 – 0 Bully Wee United (IFA Scottish League, 21/1/12)