Last updated : 06 April 2004 By Frazzle

The match started slowly, with both teams struggling to play much football on the poor surface. However, FPC managed to take the lead courtesy of a cheeky, but rare, goal from John Hendry. The burly defender found himself inside the opposition penalty area and flighted an accurate lob over the despairing goalkeeper.

Sadly, the lead was not to last. Shortly before half-time, a WellTrust striker took a tumble in the area and the ref wasted no time in pointing to the spot. The penalty was duly dispatched and the FPC morale was sunk. Merely a few minutes later, Fatcalf burst into the box and dinked a shot over the onrushing Jnr between the sticks to give MST a lead they scarcely deserved.

The turning point in the game came with yet another of Piglet's inspirational half-time teamtalks. Wearing her best poker face, she opted to play her trump card and introduced Frazzle to the action. It was only a matter of time before the tenacious midfielder had launched a 45-yard piledriver into the postage stamp corner to draw FPC level. The strike was certainly worth the entrance fee alone, and it seemed to inject life into the home side's game as they continued to dominate the proceedings.

In true FPC style, the lads almost blew it. In spite of being on top, a blunder from both defender and referee led to the 'Corner trailing by three goals to two. Although it is unfair to point the finger of blame, it was completely and entirely Toppers fault. The otherwise rambunctious wing-back sclaffed a clearance into the path of an opposition striker, who picked out his team-mate in a dubiously offside position to stroke the ball over the line.

However, FPC were not to be defeated. Dave Hendry bulletted an unstoppable shot into the goalkeepers left-hand corner after another dose of his usual trickery on the wing. It was no more than the lads deserved.

Both sides set out in search of a winner but it was FPC who were rewarded as CraigieP burst into the box and forced a good stop from the goalkeeper. Fortunately, the ball broke free and was duly slotted into the net.

Emotions ran high and tempers began to fray in the 'WellTrust ranks as the referee had to intervene in various scuffles throughout the match but boiling point was reached in the last ten minutes as BuCanio was given his marching order for a petulant headbutt on the ever-innocent Topper.

The 'Corner can be happy with their performance and with the victory and, although it took a while to get going, they'll hope to build on the win and start on a run to lead them to some silverware at Worldnet.

The 'WellTrust side can certainly take heart from their performance and, in time, could become a team capable of challenging the long-established FPC. With a little more organisation and a curb on one or two tempers, they can certainly go a long way. Good luck to them.