Motherwell only draw with Aberdeen

Last updated : 04 April 2009 By Firparkcorner

A first half chance
Injury, suspension and tactics lead to three changes from our last outing. Klimpl, Craigan and Sheridan were replaced by Lasley, McGarry and Clarkson. The team lined up in a 4-3-3 shape and it was evident early on that we were the team looking for the win. There was plenty of high paced passing moves especially in the first half and we deservedly took the lead inside the first ten minutes. O'Brien charged into the box with the help of a one-two pass with Clarkson and his shot found the net with the help of a slight deflection.

Aberdeen did little to suggest that they would recover and Smith had little to do for the remainder of the half. O'Brien's efforts caused the Dons' defence all sorts of problems and his deliveries both from his runs and from corner kicks set up several chances. Quinn headed a corner wide as the half came to an end.

Calderwood brought on Aluko for the second forty five minutes as the visitors tried to turn the game but Motherwell still controlled the game. We came close when O'Brien's chip to Sutton's head gave Clarkson a opportunity from the edge of the box. His strike had the keeper beat but it ran out on the wrong side of the post.

The equaliser came in 69 minutes and it was quite against the run of play. Aberdeen had a throw-in on the right wing and the ball was fed to Maguire who took his chance with a volley which found the roof of the net.

Considine saw a second yellow card for hauling Clarkson to the ground on the wing and we had a one man advantage. Sutton had a goal bound shot deflected by Hughes and we pressed for the winner.

We shuffled the pack and brought Sheridan and Murphy on at the expense of Clarkson and McGarry. The rhythm of the first half had now gone and our attacks became more frantic. The culmination of our efforts came in the third added minute when an O'Brien cross was headed goalwards by Murphy. Many in the Cooper Stand were on their feet expecting the ball to beat the keeper low on his left but the guardian stretched full length to touch the ball away to safety.

O'Brien's celebration

Saturday's results leave us still in the mix for sixth place and Mark McGhee believes that four points from our next two games will see us squeeze our way beyond Hibs. Time will tell.