Poor Motherwell lose to Falkirk

Last updated : 15 November 2008 By Firparkcorner

There were more than a few raised eyebrows in the travelling support when the team selection was unveiled. Chris Porter found himself on the bench and David Clarkson was preferred in a side which contained only that change from the midweek draw with Rangers. Maros Kimpl's recuperation had progressed sufficiently well to merit inclusion in the squad.

They suffered today!

The first half was a dire affair punctuated by poor control and loose passing from both teams. Clarkson had two early opportunities to squeeze the ball into the net while tight on the right hand post but on both occasions he failed. Fitzpatrick had a glorious chance midway through the half when he had two attempts from the six yard line. The first was blocked and the second missed the target when it seemed easier to score.

First half action

Meanwhile, Smith had a few saves to make with Higdon providing the main threat. We fell behind following careless loss of possession when we were well inside the Falkirk half. Quinn had moved into the centre but failed to deliver a pass to Fitzpatrick.

The ball swept up the left wing with Quinn on the wrong side of the park and when the cross was delivered Malcolm was isolated in the centre with Higdon. The striker came out best and dispatched the ball low to Smith's right hand post from the edge of the box. One down at the break.

With no improvement ten minutes into the second period, McGhee took the bold decision to replace Lasley with Porter. The 690 away fans showed their disapproval at the change but in truth Keith (and many others) was having a stinker. We were fortunate not to fall further behind minutes later when Barrett's double effort firstly met the feet of Smith then grazed the safe side of the post.

A second substitution followed ten minutes after the first. Murphy raised our striker count to four and McGarry was removed. By this time Falkirk had grown in confidence and looked the more likely to score the second goal of the match. We still looked out of sorts and continued to misplace passes.

The last throw of the die saw Clarkson replaced by Darren Smith but it made no difference to the balance of play. We looked as though we could have played for a week without scoring.